Award of the 2019 Ieke van den Burg Prize for Research on Systemic Risk
22 October 2019
After a highly competitive selection process involving peer reviews by members of the Advisory Scientific Committee (ASC), the 2019 Ieke van den Burg Prize for Research on Systemic Risk was jointly awarded to André F. Silva for his paper entitled: “Strategic Liquidity Mismatch and Financial Sector Stability” and Guillaume Vuillemey for “Completing Markets with Contracts: Evidence from the First Central Clearing Counterparty”.
The prize was awarded at the ESRB Annual Conference, which took place on 26 and 27 September 2019. A video of the announcement by Javier Suárez, Vice-Chair of the ASC, and the presentations of the papers by the winning authors are available on the ESRB website.
The ASC also decided to recognise the quality of five additional papers, which are runners-up for the prize:
- “Household debt revaluation and the real economy: evidence from a foreign currency debt crisis” by Emil Verner and Gyözö Gyöngyösi
- “Debt holder monitoring and implicit guarantees: did the BRRD improve market discipline?” by Jannic Alexander Cutura
- “Measuring tail risks at high frequency” by Brian M. Weller
- “LTV limits and borrower risk” by Nitzan Tzur-Ilan
- “Electoral cycles in macroprudential regulation” by Karsten Müller
In addition, some of the shortlisted papers will also be published as part of the ESRB Working Paper Series.
For media enquiries, please contact William Lelieveldt, tel.: +49 69 1344 7316.